Lightbend Tech Digest - July 2016
Welcome to the first Lightbend Tech Digest!
It's so exciting to keep finding new places where great technical content is published as our communities continue to grow. Inspired by the amazing efforts of our friends like SoftwareMills' Scala Times, Cake Solutions team blog, the Knoldus blog and many others, we wanted to help folks specifically interested in Lightbend technologies like Akka, Play, Lagom and Scala to find what they need faster.
To contribute to amplifying the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources.
Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you reach through this month’s highlights!
- The Lagom team are proud to announce that Lagom 1.0 has been released (on the new Lagom blog space)! We have been working hard on hardening Lagom and simplifying the APIs.
- The Akka blog (Let it Crash) has been re-launched, so stay tuned for more technical content in the future.
- The Akka Team shared the first part of their tutorial: “Threading & Concurrency in Akka Streams Explained”
- Christopher Hunt shared a short video on how to take microservices from development to production.
- I wrote a small recap about my recent “CQRS with Java and Lagom” talk at the Chicago Usergroup.
- Improved Java 8 API for Akka was examined deeper by Lorenzo Nicora.
- Harit Himanshu (@harittweets) shared how he contributed to Akka over the weekend and also introduced you to a Akka development setup with Docker.
- Zalando recently published Which shoe fits you? Comparing Akka Streams, Actors, and Plain Futures
- Check out how WebSockets work in Play Framework
- Your first microservices using Scala and Lagom shows you that, even if Lagom’s first API is for Java 8, you can use it with Scala.
- Implementing a Custom Akka Streams Graph Stage is a post about using Akka Streams predefined building blocks for your graphs (i.e. processing pipelines). Should you need a non-standard solution, there’s an API to help you write the custom part of the graph.
- Effective Typesafe Config goes over Typesafe Config, a library that aims to do one thing well: reading configuration files in your applications and libraries.
- Akka-HTTP Logging: Logging the Response Time of the Rest API discusses how to log response times in Akka HTTP.
Code-snippets and other highlights
- Matthieu Taggiasco (@taggiasco) wrote a short example application using Akka-HTTP.
- Milestone 3 of the new Akka remoting was published.
- Akka 2.4.8 was released!
- A new component has been added to the akka-streams ActiveMQ integration which supports resumable-queries that continue a persistent query after restart.
- Videos of Scala Days Berlin have been published on youtube.
Oh, and if you'd like to request contact from someone at Lightbend, feel free to get in touch here: