Lightbend Tech Digest - October 2016
Happy Halloween! We're keeping the lights bright with our October Tech Digest on Akka, Lagom, Play and Scala!
To contribute to amplifying the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
- Highlight: Get a 20% discount on Scala By The Bay, Nov 11th-13th 2016, San Francisco (code LIGHTBEND20)
- Typelevel representative at the Scala Center Advisory Board
- Akka Cluster Now Works On Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Akka-Streams-Kafka 0.13 released
- Akka 2.4.11 released
- Scala 2.12.0-RC2 released
- Scala.js 0.6.13 released
- Lagom 1.2-RC2 released
Articles, Webinars and Books
- Highlight: Free JAX Magazine - October 2016 - Reactive Programming with Scala, Lagom, Spark, Akka and Play
- Spotlight: GraphStage emit and friends - Alternative methods to push/pull allowing you to simplify the logic for some use cases by Patrik Nordwall (@patriknw)
- Handling Split Brain scenarios with Akka
- Demystifying Akka Extensions - An example of how to load per-actor system custom Akka extension.
- Using shapeless' HLists for extra type safety (in Akka Streams)
- Why Reactive? - Foundational Principles for Enterprise Adoption. A free O'Reilly Ebook
- JAXEnter Interview with Scala creator Martin Odersky — The current state of Scala
- CQRS increases consistency
- Instant Messaging at LinkedIn: Scaling to Hundreds of Thousands of Persistent Connections on One Machine
- InfoQ reviews the Reactive Summit 2016 Conference: Reactive Microservices and Staging Data Pipelines
Code-snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Recordings from the inaugural Reactive Summit 2016 have been released!
- Chat With Akka HTTP Websockets
- An FS2 (Functional Streams for Scala) interface for Akka Streams and Apache Camel
- Simple skeleton project to use Akka HTTP with Scala.js
- ConductR DCOS CLI integration
- Reactive architecture, design, and programming. An interview with Duncan Devore at O'Reilly SACon London
- DNS service locator for Lagom and Akka
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know: