New Name - Cloudstate is now Akka Serverless
Stateful and Stateless Applications
Serverless, or pay-as-you-go computing via Functions-as-a-Service (FaaS), has become a force to be reckoned with for modern cloud native application development. There is a big, glaring problem, however, that produces challenges for developers looking to embrace FaaS for general application development:
- FaaS is only for a subset of all use-cases—it’s intended for stateless transformation of data.
- Most business applications tend to have a significant need for stateful transformations and domain models
- This results in having to work around this limitation by embedding data access within functions, leading to high coupling, high latency, and contention under increased load.
Productive and Scalable Cloud Computing
A common issue in product development is that the tools you are most familiar and productive with might not be built with scaling in mind. This can lead to cases where you have developed a great product but when it attracts a lot of new users, it struggles to scale. These projects fail before they even begin.
To avoid failure, you need tools that are both productive and can scale with your users.
Presenting Cloudstate, distributed state management for serverless that is designed to be flexible. With support for any language that can implement a gRPC server as well as infinite possible APIs per language. It is designed to fit into the existing cloud native ecosystem, leveraging proven tools and standards, such as kubernetes and gRPC, that most enterprises use.
About This Presentation
Learn from Viktor Klang, co-creator of Cloudstate and Head of Cloud Engineering at Lightbend, as we demonstrate with Cloudstate how domain entities offered as stateful services make Serverless applicable in a much broader scope than present-day FaaS.
Using techniques such as Event Sourcing, and scalable eventual consistency via Conflict-Free Replicated Data Types (CRDTs), Cloudstate offers a broad range of state management strategies.
This presentation will cover the following areas:
- What is Cloudstate?
- The Guiding Principles of Cloudstate
- Architecture and Design - How Cloudstate uses Akka clusters to scale
- Real Life code examples of implementing Cloudstate
Cloudstate.io is an open initiative, led by Lightbend, to solve the problems of the first generation of FaaS by creating an open standard and a reference implementation for a polyglot, poly-DB store, poly-API, serverless platform based on industry standards such as gRPC and Kubernetes, and state-of-the-art technology for Reactive Systems like Akka.