Lightbend Tech Digest - December 2016
Happy Holidays and a big Thank You for an amazing year!
This is the last Tech Digest in 2016. We hope, you enjoyed some downtime during the holiday season and still find some minutes to look over what happened in our amazing community in December. We want to say: "Thank you!" for all the amazing contributions to our open source projects and your excitement around our latest technologies. Every New Year gives us the perfect chance to learn something new. The Tech Digest is a perfect place to start! Happy New Year 2017!
To contribute to amplifying the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Scala 2.12.1 released!
- Alpakka 0.3 and 0.4 released.
- Introducing the Lagom Scala API preview
- Akka 2.4.16 Released!
- Akka SSE 2.0.0-RC5
- Streamz v-0.6 released!
Conferences and Events
- Highlight: Fast Data Roadshow London. Build your understanding of streaming data architecture with a half-day free technical roundtable.
- Scala Days 2017 Announced - Call For Papers Open
Articles and Books
- Highlight: Implicit Function Types on the way to bring contextual abstraction to Scala by Martin Odersky
- Reactive Streams and the Weird Case of Back Pressure
- New Tech Hub Guide: How to deploy microservices to DC/OS
- Jonas Bonér's foreword for Markus Eisele’s great book on Developing Reactive Microservices.
- All you need to know about development and direction - What’s new in Akka?
- Aeron in Artery learn everything about the new remoting implementation for Actor messages by Patrik Nordwall
- Streams in Artery A high-level overview about how the new Akka remoting is implemented by Patrik Nordwall
- Akka Actors to Akka Streams: When You Should Care by Dustin Lyons
- Akka event sourcing done right by Filippo De Luca
- About Akka Streams - An introduction to Akka Streams by Ivan Yurchenko
- Akka Streams, a Story of Scalability by Nicolas A Perez
- Improving workflow with local SBT files improve productivity by using SBT’s multiple configuration files. by Aleksandr Ivanov
- Lagom 1.2: Supporting Apache Kafka and JDBC by Tim Moore
- Why Reactive? Foundational Principles for Enterprise Adoption
- Taming Awful Legacy Data Feeds Using Akka
- Dockerizing a Java Play Application
- See how LinkedIn combined Playframework with EmberJS for a delightful, app-like user experience.
Code-snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Event sourcing for Akka Typed
- Understanding Akka Dispatchers
- The Basics Of Reactive System Design For Traditional Java Enterprises
- Podcast: Reactive Microservices with Jonas Boner
- Akka in Action Source updated to Akka 2.4.14
- Akka Process Framework
- Interview with Adam Gibson, Creator of Deeplearning4j: Why Aeron Matters
- Introduction to Akka by Yannick De Turck
- Declarative content negotiation for the Play Framework
- Request for feedback: Update sbt Getting Started guide
- lagom-java-ec2 with JDBC or Cassandra as custom deploy to EC2 (without ConductR)
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: