Lightbend Tech Digest - February 2017
From Winter To Spring: Heating Up The Community!
Our second tech digest of 2017 comes a little later than usual, but we're taking an "at least once" approach here ;-)
Lightbend attended the first conferences of the season, including JFokus, DevNexus and a number of user group meetups. Now it's time to look into what else the communities around Scala, Akka, Play and Lagom have been up to and pick your lunch break reads for the coming weeks.
To contribute to amplifying the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Lagom 1.3.0 released!
- Akka 2.4.17 Security Patch released
- Akka HTTP 10.0.4 released
- Akka-persistence-cassandra 0.23 released
- Alpakka 0.6 released
- Lagom 1.3.1 and 1.2.3 released
- Play 2.6.0-M1 released
- Slick 3.2.0 released
Upcoming Conferences and Events
Make sure to catch up with all the events in the Lightbend community which are listed on our community page!
- Highlight: Meet the Lightbend team at Strata+Hadoop World San Jose
- ICYMI: Find a Scala Meetup group near you!
- Join Dean Wampler and learn how to Stream All the Things at the Austin Scala Enthusiasts Meetup
- Fast Data Roadshow in Austin
- Make sure to say hello to the Lightbend team at Devoxx US
- We're proud sponsors of the Northeast Scala Symposium in New York
- Don't forget to register for Designing Reactive Microservices in Java - O'Reilly Webinar
Articles and Books
- Highlight: Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Building Reactive Systems
- A Lightbend Statement: Seeing Past Walls: Why Lightbend Will Remain Inclusive, Distributed and Diverse
- Asynchronous Programming and Scala. Asynchrony is everywhere and it subsumes concurrency. This article explains what asynchronous processing is and its challenges.
- From Microservices to Distributed Systems - Survival guide for Java Developers
- Akka Streams: A Motivating Example
- A Simple Akka Cluster Application
- Building Microservices Based Enterprise Applications in Java Using Lagom – Part I
- Extending RequestContext in akka-http for fun and profit
- Distributed Security with Actors
- Neo4j With Scala: Rest End Points with AKKA HTTP
- JWT Authentication with Play Framework
- Upgrading from Play 2.3 to 2.5
- Scala Quality Check for Play Framework projects with SonarQube
- Action composition in Play Framework
- Patterns for Streaming Measurement Data with Akka Streams
- Exposing ElasticSearch Index Using Scala Akka HTTP
Code snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: First Scala Platform Committee meeting
- Scala 2.13 Collections
- Let by-name implicit parameters have lazy semantics. Proposal by M.Odersky
- JFokus recording: Asynchronous stream processing with Akka Streams
- JFokus recording: Blah blah Microservices blah blah
- Chat application implemented using Playframework, Akka toolkit, and Websocket.
- Java Web Frameworks Index by RebelLabs
- This is a simple Play 2.5 module, which allows you to manage jobs.
- An Akka based API to interact with Apache Spark using Scala
- Jonas Bonér on the Actor Model, Akka, Reactive Programming, Microservices and Distributed Systems
- Library for creating health endpoint checks for Akka HTTP applications
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: