Lightbend Tech Digest - January 2017
We’re starting over again!
Welcome to the first Tech Digest in 2017. The year has been off to an intense start and I'm happy to present the latest installment of the best resources around the Lightbend communities.
To contribute to amplifying the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Lagom 1.3.0-RC1 released!
- Akka HTTP 10.0.2 and 184.108.40.206 Security Patch Released!
- Akka 2.5-M1 Released!
- Akka HTTP 10.0.3 Released!
- ConductR 2.0.0 is released!
- Lightbend Monitoring 2.1.3 and 2.2.0-RC1 released!
- Akka SSE 2.0.0 released!
Upcoming Conferences and Events
Make sure to catch up with all the events in the Lightbend community which are listed on our community page!
- Highlight: Fast Data Roadshow Seattle. Build your understanding of streaming data architecture with a half-day free technical roundtable.
- Jfokus 2017 - watch Jonas Bonér's keynote: "Blah blah Microservices blah blah"
- Spark Summit East - Join Lightbend and our customers as we explore emerging patterns around Fast Data at Spark Summit.
- ScalaSyd/YOW nights - Join Martin Odersky as he explores the future of Scala down under.
- ScalaBridge 2017 - A workshop intended to reach out to women and non-binary people who are interested in learning Scala!
Articles and Books
- Highlight: Building Reactive Applications with Akka Actors and Java 8
- Understanding Reactive Programming vs. Reactive Systems
- Speeding up RESTful Services in Play Framework
- Meet Lagom, the latest monolith killer
- Microservices and the Evolution of Software Architecture
- Chaos Experiment: Split Braining Akka Clusters by Carl Pulley
- Work Stealing: What Makes the Play Framework Fast by Kevin Webber
- Getting Started with Actors 2
- Composing Actor Behavior by Roland Kuhn
- About Akka Streams
Code-snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Most common words used in Scala.
- Best Scala talks I've seen in 2016 - best 4 functional Scala talks Michal Plachta has seen during the last 365 days.
- Podcast: Reactive Microservices Development with Markus Eisele
- Using Akka Streams, Kafka and Alpakka in Java 8
- Akka Team Community Survey 2016 Summary
- Play Framework Full Stack Development Video Tutorial
- A ScalaJs Template with scaffolding, postgres, scalajs-react and play-framework in the backend
- Lightbend Podcast: Adriaan Moors Reflects On 10 Years With Scala
- Akka Cluster - the absolute bare mininum developer setup
- Akka on a $9 computer
- A journal plugin for Akka Persistence, backed by Firebase
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: