Lightbend Tech Digest - March 2017
Marching into the summer. DST is back!
Now that summer is approaching, it's a good time to check out the latest developments in the Akka, Scala, Play and Lagom communities. With many conferences last month and even more amazing blog posts, our new tech digest gives you a solid overview on what you may have missed last month.
To help us amplify the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Scala 2.13 roadmap
- Akka HTTP 10.0.4 and Akka HTTP 10.0.5 released!
- Akka 2.5.0-RC1 and Akka 2.5.0-RC2 released!
- Slick 3.2.0 released!
- Play 2.6.0-M2, 2.5.13 and 2.4.11 released!
- sbt 0.13.14-RC1 and sbt 0.13.14-RC2 released!
Upcoming Conferences and Events
Make sure to catch up with all the events in the Lightbend community which are listed on our community page!
- Highlight: 5 Reasons to Attend Scala Days 2017
- Meet Dean Wampler at Flink Forward San Francisco, April 10-11
- Scala Days Chicago, April 18-21
- Fast Data Roadshow is coming to Chicago, April 19
- Refactoring Legacy Java Apps with Akka Cluster and DC/OS - Reactive Toronto
Articles and Books
- Highlight: Reactive Programming with Akka - Free DZone Refcard
- Karl Wehden on Fast Data processing and Reactive systems
- A Simple Akka Cluster Application
- Extending RequestContext in akka-http for fun and profit
- The myth of using Scala as a better Java
- Patterns for Streaming Measurement Data with Akka Streams
- Clustering Akka in Kubernetes with Statefulset and Deployment
- Akka Best Practices: Defining Actor Props
- Adopting Scala: The Next Steps
- Communicating with kafka using akka actors
- Swagger with Play: All you need to know
- Reactive Systems Architecture by Jan Machacek
- Setting Up Play Framework Evolutions with Dependency Injection and MySQL
- Building Streaming And Fast Data Applications With Spark, Mesos, Akka, Cassandra And Kafka
Code snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Scala plugin for IntelliJ IDEA 2017.1: Cleaner UI, SBT shell, REPL worksheet, Akka support and more
- Re-Watch: Designing Reactive Microservices in Java
- Google Summer of Code 2017 Scala Projects
- Upgrading From Play Framework 2.3 to Play 2.5
- Akka Streams + Kafka template
- The Verification of a Distributed System - by Caitie McCaffrey
- Scala Central March 2017 Videos
- New Alpakka connector: GCE Pubsub with publish and subscribe
- REST API using Play in Java
- Simple builder for Play run hooks
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: