Lightbend Tech Digest - November 2016
Winter is coming. But nothing stops the November Tech Digest on Akka, Lagom, Play and Scala!
Winter is coming and the temperatures have dropped significantly in the parts of the world which have a winter. And while everything is slowed down, including the release of the monthly tech digest, we continue to work our way towards Christmas. The last month will hold some surprises but for now it is time to look back at November and see what our awesome community created.
To contribute to amplifying the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Scala 2.12.0 is available! The Scala compiler has been completely overhauled to make use of the new VM features available in Java 8.
- sbt 0.13.13 released! This version is a technology preview of what's to come in sbt 1.0.
- Lagom 1.2 released! - introduces support for message brokers, JDBC, and an overhaul of read sides.
- Akka HTTP 10.0.0 "X" released!
- Akka 2.4.14 released!
- Alpakka 0.2 released!
- akka-persistence-cassandra 0.21 relesed
- akka-http-json 1.11.0 released!
Conferences and Events
- Highlight: Scala Days 2017 announced for Chicago and Copenhagen! CfP is open now!
- Scala eXchange 2016: Meet up with Martin Odersky, Adriaan Moors, Henrik Engström and other Lightbenders
Articles and Books
- Highlight: Designing Reactive Systems: The Role Of Actors In Distributed Architecture
- Free O'Reilly eBook: Why Reactive? Foundational Principles For Enterprise Adoption
- Playing with Play - SQL. Learn how easy it is to connect to a database with Play.
- ConductR - One tool to rule them all. Learn how to create and test ConductR bundles.
- Event sourced microservices. Learn how to create event sourced microservices from scratch using Slick, Play and types.
- Solving for High Throughput with Akka Streams
- AkkaPaint – simplicity and power of Akka
- Akka anti-patterns: being out of touch with the hardware
- Yet another sbt-docker introduction
- Akka.io, sbt-assembly and Docker
- The framework for Microservices and Domain-Driven Design - Lagom
- Dockerizing a Java Play Application
- The Lagom Framework for reactive microservices
- Instant Messaging at LinkedIn: Scaling to Hundreds of Thousands of Persistent Connections on One Machine
Code-snippets and other highlights
- Alpakka - A call to arms. The initial release of Alpakka modules.
- Distributed Systems Seminar's reading list for Spring 2017
- Duncan DeVore on: How To Understand Reactive Architecture, Design, And Programming In Less Than 12 Minutes
- How to run Akka Cluster on Google Cloud Platform
- Compile-time DI sbt/g8 template for Playframework, incl test-harnesses
- Which is better, Play Framework or Spring MVC? How should I decide what to use?
- JAXMagazine edition about Reactive Programming with Scala, Lagom, Akka and Play (PDF!)
- Functional Geekery Podcast Episode 73 with Jonas Bonér
- Play Application using Dagger 2 for Compile Time DI
- Understanding Akka Dispatchers
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: