Mesosphere Infinity Integrates With Cisco Intercloud Services Using Akka, Mesos, Kafka, Spark, Cassandra to Deliver Real-Time Big Data and IoT Solution
See the official press release
Mesosphere Infinity Delivers Enterprise-Ready Open Source Software Stack for Building Backend Digital Services Supported by Mesosphere and Partners Confluent, Elodina, and Typesafe
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - Aug 20, 2015) - Mesosphere, creators of the Datacenter Operating System (DCOS) for managing cloud and datacenter resources at scale, today announced Mesosphere Infinity, the first real-time enterprise-ready open source offering that lets companies capture the enormous new business opportunities created by the rise of ubiquitous data, including fraud and anomaly detection, real-time personalization, and Internet of Things (IoT) applications, such as connected consumer devices and supply chain optimization. Learn more at https://mesosphere.com/infinity.
Mesosphere Infinity captures the convergence of three massive business trends -- Internet of Things (IoT), real-time data-driven customer interaction solutions, and real-time business insight platforms. These trends are driving data volumes, velocity and variety at unprecedented and exploding levels that threaten traditional datacenters with a literal data deluge. Getting business value from this new big data opportunity Gartner estimates will be a $263 billion market by 2020.
Developed in collaboration with Cisco, Mesosphere Infinity is a turnkey, full-stack offering optimized for big data and IoT. It is powered by the Mesosphere DCOS, which is built around Apache Mesos, and an integrated, commercially-supported stack of Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, Apache Cassandra and Akka. These leading open source technologies are becoming the new de facto standard among sophisticated distributed developers and data scientists who want to create real-time data pipelines to address fast-emerging new business opportunities in big data and IoT. Mesosphere Infinity simplifies many of the deployment and operational complexities of IoT by packaging all of the key component services into a single interoperable stack that works across clusters of servers in datacenters and clouds.
"Building data pipelines can be extremely complex and time consuming, affordable only for the largest companies with significant technology budgets and deep engineering teams," said Florian Leibert, CEO and co-founder of Mesosphere. "Collaborating closely with our partners like Cisco and Confluent, Mesosphere Infinity makes it possible for companies of all sizes and levels of engineering sophistication to adopt these new technologies. The product removes operational obstacles and makes this combination of technologies accessible to the broad enterprise computing market."
Cisco is a key collaborator with Mesosphere on the development of Infinity and intends to be one of the first distributors to enterprise customers. As part of its development contributions, Cisco has optimized Cisco Intercloud Services for Mesosphere Infinity and already has a number of customers running the stack in production. Intel has validated the stack as being suitable at scale on Intel hardware for the most demanding production deployment requirements.
"Our collaboration with Mesosphere will accelerate developers' ability to create innovative cloud services for the Intercloud, the globally connected network of clouds Cisco is building with our partners, which will offer a new breed of cloud services to help organizations capture the multitude of opportunities created by the Internet of Everything (IoE)," said Ken Owens, chief technology officer for Cisco Intercloud Services.
Mesosphere Infinity is powered by the Mesosphere DCOS, a proven solution for running workloads at massive scale and has the benefits of simple installation and operation, fault tolerance and high availability. With a single command, any enterprise can deploy Mesosphere Infinity to a single cluster -- rather than statically partitioning each framework on standalone clusters. Deploying and managing the world's most powerful services for building back-end data pipelines has become as simple as installing a mobile application on a smartphone.
Top Tech Companies Partner to Bring New Stack to Market
Mesosphere has partnered with the leading vendors of new datacenter frameworks to ensure that Infinity customers have a turnkey DCOS experience. These companies are experts in specific services and have been collaborating with Mesosphere to provide the underlying technology and will be assisting in the ongoing innovation, maintenance and support of these services.
Elodina is a big data as a service company that provides software and services that support the Mesosphere DCOS and Mesos, including scalable software infrastructure that enables real-time stream ingestion and analysis. Elodina is a leading contributor to the Apache Kafka project and ecosystem and a support partner for Mesosphere Infinity. Elodina's platform provides support for a variety of other DCOS-compatible services, including: Apache Cassandra, Apache Storm, Apache Zookeeper and Apache Hadoop.
"Elodina is excited to be a partner in delivering Mesosphere Infinity solutions to customers. Our software, which is compatible with Infinity, will analyze data streams and programmatically react to the results in real-time," said Joe Stein, CEO of Elodina. "Subscribing to Elodina's service enables Infinity customers to optimize their business analytics and obtain the best business outcomes."
Typesafe -- creators of the Typesafe Reactive Platform and the leading contributor to the Scala programming language -- will also provide support to this new stack on DCOS. Spark, Akka and Kafka are all written in Scala.
"Scala was in the right place at the right time to become the language of choice for IoT and Reactive Applications," said Martin Odersky, creator of Scala and co-founder of Typesafe. "We're excited to work with Mesosphere to support Infinity."
Confluent, founded by the creators of Apache Kafka, is partnering with Mesosphere to adapt their Confluent Platform and offer it as a fully integrated component of Mesosphere Infinity. The Confluent Platform includes Kafka but also expands upon that technology to add new stream processing capabilities that will enable analytical operations on real-time data streams.
"We see Mesosphere Infinity as the perfect way to make real-time data processing a turnkey operation for the Internet of Things," said Jay Kreps, CEO and Co-Founder of Confluent, and one of the original creators of Apache Kafka. "Apache Kafka and the Confluent Platform help provide a scalable data backbone for real-time processing which is critical for organizations addressing the scalability challenges of building applications and services for that process real-time data streams. Mesosphere DCOS and Infinity are an excellent way for organizations to jump start their usage of this popular platform."
The Technologies Inside Infinity
Mesosphere Infinity is an industry-first solution that enables enterprises to build and run IoT applications based on open source technology, with support from trusted names behind the open source technologies. Businesses can now use a proven, highly performant, highly available, highly scalable suite of data and analytics services as the foundation of their IoT applications:
- Apache Mesos: Built into the Mesosphere DCOS, Apache Mesos provides the distributed systems backbone upon which all of these services are deployed.
- Apache Kafka: A performant publish-subscribe message bus designed for high availability and data durability, with minimal latency. Kafka acts as a central data backbone and enables loose coupling between applications (Akka), data processing (Spark), and data persistence (Cassandra) services.
- Akka: An event-driven middleware framework, for building high performance and reliable distributed applications in Java and Scala. Akka decouples business logic from low-level mechanisms such as threads, locks and non-blocking IO. Akka provides a set of high-level abstractions (including Actors, Streams and Futures) and simplifies development of IoT and other message-driven applications.
- Apache Spark: Is a fast and general purpose engine for large-scale data processing in memory. Spark supports streaming analytics, machine learning and graph computation. Spark's in-memory primitives provide performance up to 100 times faster than that of traditional open source big data frameworks.
- Apache Cassandra: Is a database that provides for high scalability, high availability, and linear scalability making it the ideal platform for mission-critical data. Cassandra support for replicating data across multiple datacenters is best-in-class, and enables low latency geographically distributed applications and peace of mind of knowing that you can survive regional outages.
Collaboration with Intel
As part of a broad partnership, Intel and Mesosphere have been building hardware and software integrations to improve the performance of Apache Mesos, the foundation of Mesosphere's products, on Intel Architectures.
"We see Mesosphere as a key technology partner in the modern datacenter," said Jonathan Donaldson, VP & GM, Software Defined Infrastructure at Intel Corporation. "Intel has deployed the Mesosphere DCOS in our Software Defined Infrastructure lab, and we are collaborating with Mesosphere on advanced scheduling and oversubscription technology. The goal is to bring better utilization and performance to datacenters that utilize Intel and Mesosphere DCOS."
How Enterprises Use Mesosphere Infinity
Mesosphere Infinity supports a broad range of applications, including:
- IoT Applications: Harness the power of billions of connected devices, sensors and other data sources to create groundbreaking new products, disrupt existing business models, or more efficiently manage your supply chain.
- Anomaly Detection: Detect in real-time problems such as financial fraud, a structural defect, a medical condition, and other errors.
- Predictive Analytics: Analyze real-time and historical data to forecast probably in order to better understand customers, products and partners and to identify potential risks and business opportunities.
- Personalization: Deliver a unique experience in real-time that is relevant and engaging based on a deep understanding of the customer and current context.
By using Mesosphere Infinity, enterprises derive many benefits, including:
- Open: Based on the best of open source technologies to tackle ubiquitous data
- Assured: State of the art computer science & enterprise production experience, integrated & supported by leading vendors
- Instant: Turnkey installation, operation, and elastic scalability
- Adaptive: Highly modular and flexible design to evolve with you and new frameworks