- Reducing customer churn with real-time insights from CDRs and EDRs
- Leverage perishable insights from Call Data Record (CDR) and Enhanced Data Record (EDR) metadata to improve call quality, find outages, and improve web browsing speed.
- Customers generating 10 million records per second, representing 500 billion records per day, producing 600 terabytes of data per day.
- Existing application architecture running on a traditional thousand-node Hadoop infrastructure delivered insights in days and hours; too late for the business to make adjustments to improve the customer experience.
- Goal was reducing the wait time until data was useful to less than one second. Lightbend was brought in to help T-Mobile understand Reactive and implement a streaming data pipeline POC.
- Hypothesis was to prove the application architecture could deliver insights on 32,000 records per second on 150 nodes. The outcome was a blazing 5 million records per second on 50 nodes.
- Streaming data pipeline now in production and generating insights on 10 million records per second on reduced 5:1 hardware footprint. Current Hortonworks HDP data lake investments still highly utilized for data storage.
- Real-time call and browsing quality insights inform Predictive Dropping and automatic rerouting to towers with more capacity to improve customer experience, and ultimately, loyalty.
- Real-time insights open up new monetization streams for Major Events Marketing informed by social sentiment around Superbowl, Oscars, and more.
- Meeting real-time SLAs for First Responders and Nationwide 911 does good for the community and delivers millions of dollars in incremental revenue from federal government.
REAL-TIME FAST FACTS
Real-time insights improve customer service delivery and loyalty
500 billions records/day
10 million records/second
BATCH PROCESSING INSIGHTS
Delivered in days
STREAM PROCESSING INSIGHTS
Delivered in real-time
10 million records/second
Reduced server requirements by 5:1
FIT FOR OTHER USE CASES
Call Centers, Field Service, Ad Targeting
Powered by Lightbend Platform: A brief look inside T-Mobile’s real-time streaming platform
Lightbend Platform provides a complete streaming architecture, including Reactive microservices frameworks, multiple streaming engines, and an end-to-end console for cluster management, monitoring, and security. To ensure developer happiness and reduce business risk, T-Mobile benefits from on-site and direct portal access to Lightbend experts and 24/7 production support.
(Akka, Lagom, Play, Scala)
Embedded Lightbend Engineer (ELE)
Production Support 24/7
Legal Indemnification & Warranties