Lightbend Tech Digest - April 2017
Catching up: Akka, Lagom, Play, Scala and Reactive Platform in April
With April swooshing by, we're a step closer to the warmer months again. Time to check how the communities have been working on Akka, Lagom, Play, Scala and Reactive Platform and which surprises you may have missed in April.
To help us amplify the news, articles, guides and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Three new Scala releases and more GitHub goodness!
- Akka 2.5.0 released!
- Akka 2.5.1 released!
- Akka 2.4.18 released!
- Alpakka 0.8 - CSV parser, AWS SNS and IronMQ connectors
- Akka commercial addons 1.0.2 released!
- New in sbt 0.13.15: Preliminary JDK 9 support and offline installation
- Lightbend Monitoring Now Integrates With Datadog For Monitoring Akka-Based Reactive Applications
- Akka Http 10.0.6 Security Update Released!
Upcoming Conferences and Events
Make sure to catch up with all the events in the Lightbend community which are listed on our events page!
- Highlight: Scala Days Copenhagen
- Devoxx 2017 (United Kingdom)
- LXScala 2017 - Keynote by Viktor Klang
- Scala Italy 2017
- MicroCPH 2017
- J On the Beach 2017
- GeeCON 2017
Articles and Books
- Highlight: A new way of getting started with Lightbend technologies
- Integrating Akka Streams and Akka Actors: Part I
- Let’s Play! - A Play Framework Learning Journey (Parts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
- Swagger with Play: All you need to know
- Your first Web application with Play and Scala
- Benchmarking Single-result Query Performance in Slick Using JMH
- Comparing Scala relational database access libraries
- Custom GraphStage in Akka Streams
- Book Review: Reactive Messaging Patterns with the Actor Model - Applications and Integration in Scala and Akka
- Reactive Pitfalls: Java Serialization
- Reactive Systems Architecture by Jan Machacek - The highly anticipated first chapter is now available for download
- The Most Popular Languages for Data Science
- Using JSON With Play and Scala
Code snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Lightbend Podcast: What's New In Akka 2.5 with Patrik Nordwall (27 Min)
- Scala plugin for IntelliJ IDEA 2017.1: Cleaner UI, SBT shell, REPL worksheet, Akka support and more
- Devoxx US Presentation by Will Sargent: Best Practices in Reactive Application with Java 8 and Play
- Minutes of the 4th meeting of the Scala Center, Q1 2017
- sbt 1.0 roadmap and beta-1
- An example Play application showing encrypted session management
- Interview with Adam Gibson, Creator of Deeplearning4j: Why Aeron Matters
- New HPE Fortify Scala Plugin For Static Application Security Testing (SAST)
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: