Lightbend Tech Digest - August 2017
"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower."
That is how Albert Camus put it. We made it back from summer vacation and it is time to gear back up into work mode. Here's a good opportunity to start over is to check in with what you might have missed last month. A big thank you to this awesome community for all your contributions!
To help us amplify the news, articles, guides, and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights :)
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Scala 2.12.3 released.
- Akka 2.5.4 Security Patch released.
- Akka HTTP 10.0.10 released.
- Akka-Streams-Kafka 0.17 released.
- sbt 1.0.0 released.
- Lagom 1.3.7 and 1.3.8 released.
- Reactive Streams updated to 1.0.1
Articles and Books
- Highlight: An Update On The Release Of Reactive Streams 1.0.1 And What's In JDK 9
- Introduction to Reactive Streams for Java Developers
- Deploying clustered Akka applications on Kubernetes
- "Reactive Microsystems - The Evolution Of Microservices At Scale": Free O'Reilly Report By Jonas Bonér
- A new adaptive accrual failure detector for Akka
- Up and Running using SBT with Eclipse or IntelliJ
- Crafting production-ready Backup as a Service solution using Akka Streams
- Using Akka HTTP with Sangria as GraphQL backend
- Zinc (sbt) friendly code
- Formatting Scala code in Visual Studio Code
- 5 New features in Akka (Streams) 2.5.4 you may have missed
- sbt: redefine task as "something" + "this tasks previous self"
- Cinnamon 2.5 with Akka HTTP support
- Akka Message Delivery - At-Most-Once, At-Least-Once, and Exactly-Once - Part 1 At-Most-Once
- Integrating Unmanaged Services in Lagom With Scala
Code snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Accelerating Cognitive Development With Scala And Java - Why IBM and Lightbend webinar replay
- Akka Commercial Addons - Thread Starvation Detector
- List of sbt plugins sorted by GitHub stars - August Edition
- Bitcoin-akka is a minimalistic but nearly fully compliant implementation of the Bitcoin protocol in Scala using the Akka library.
- Version 2 of the async/non-blocking DNS service locator for Kubernetes. Includes Lagom Scala and Java DSL.
- Docker image for Scala and Play with different version. Updated to 2.12.3, 2.6.2.
- Play socket.io support
Upcoming Conferences and Events
- SEP-13 - Next Lightbend Webinar: Akka Revealed: A JVM Architect’s Journey From Resilient Actors To Scalable Clusters
Lightbend’s active and rapidly growing community sponsors meetups and conferences online and all around the world. Our engineers and professional services representatives travel the globe to share insights about Play Framework, Akka, Scala and other projects. Browse our list of conferences, meetups and webinars.
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: