Lightbend Tech Digest - July 2017
"One benefit of Summer was that each day we had more light to read by."
The wonderful quote by American author, Jeannette Walls beautifully expresses what summertime was all about for me when I was in school. Summer break was finally there and there's nothing to worry about for a couple of weeks before we had to start over again. Growing older with less vacations than my daughters have today, I still enjoy this time of the year to catch up on reading. And there's a lot to learn because of our awesome community which never stops contributing.
To help us amplify the news, articles, guides, and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: sbt 1.0.0-RC3 and sbt 0.13.16
- sbt 1.0.0-RC2 released
- Slick 3.2.1 released
- Lagom 1.3.6 released
- Play 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 released
- Dotty version 0.2.0-RC1 released
- Scala 2.12.3 released
- Scala 2.13.0-M2
Articles and Books
- Highlight: Whitepaper: Modernization: The End Of Heavyweight Era
- Deploying Reactive Microservices: free O'Reilly report by Edward Callahan
- Integrating Akka Streams and Akka Actors: Part III
- Monitoring Akka based applications with Cinnamon and DataDog
- The State Of In-Application State: What No One Is Talking About
- A tale of bad framework choices and how it led to interesting code. An Akka-HTTP story.
- Akka clusters: All about Cluster Aware Actors
- Reactive Mistakes: Flat Actor Hierarchies
- Akka Streams: Using Back Pressure To Cure Downtime, Scalability Blockers And Memory Issues
- Managing Library Dependencies in SBT Builds
- Improving Akka dispatchers
- What is coming with Dotty?
- Akka Monitoring: Telemetry OpenTracing
- A new adaptive accrual failure detector for Akka
- Running Java and Scala Apps With Play: VPS and Docker
- Leverage Watson Java SDK from Play Application
- Quickly build a Reactive web app with Play and Watson Language Translator
Code snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Call for support: ScalaQuest - a game to learn Scala
- Why We Love Scala For Machine Learning
- Why I Don't Regret Moving Our Android App to Scala
- Developer Ecosystem Survey 2017 - Scala
- Play 2.5 Java - Download a set of images, described in a JSON file with a list of URLs, using Akka stream.
- Adopting JDK9 Flow.* without hurting JDK8 Reactive Streams users with Akka Streams
- IntelliJ IDEA Scala plugin 2017.2: SBT 1.0, improved SBT Shell, Play 2.6 and better implicits management.
- DeepDSL is a domain specific language (DSL) embedded in Scala for writing deep learning network applications.
- Edward Callahan on reactive microservice deployments. O'Reilly Podcast
- Akka Streams example of how to interleave Sources with priorities
- Multiple potential improvements to affinity pool for Akka
- Advanced Topics in Event Sourcing / CQRS / DDD
- Angular 2 Play dev mode integration
IBM + Lightbend Special
- IBM, Lightbend partner to build cognitive enterprise tech, ZDNet
- IBM, Lightbend team up on cognitive application development platform, The Serverside
- How the IBM and Lightbend collaboration will light up the cognitive enterprise, IBM Big Data and Analytics Hub
- Lightbend Collaborates with IBM; Creates New Platform for Cognitive Development, VMblog
Upcoming Conferences and Events
Lightbend’s active and rapidly growing community sponsors meetups and conferences online and all around the world. Our engineers and professional services representatives travel the globe to share insights about Play Framework, Akka, Scala and other projects. Browse our list of conferences, meetups and webinars.
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: