Lightbend Tech Digest - May 2017
The most convenient place to get Akka, Lagom, Play & Scala content
With Scala Days just behind us and summer holidays ahead of us, we're gearing up for hot weather with plenty of new releases, events, and community driven articles.
To help us amplify the news, articles, guides, and how-tos out there, feel free to reach out on Twitter at @myfear to point me towards relevant resources. Now it’s time to sit back, grab a coffee and relax while you read through this month’s highlights!
Releases and Updates
- Highlight: Akka Website Redesign!
- sbt 0.13.16-M1 released, featuring startup warning fixes and sbt-cross-building that cross builds plugins.
- Akka 2.5.1 released!
- Akka Http 10.0.6 Security Update released!
- Akka HTTP 10.0.7 released.
- Akka 2.4.18 released.
- Alpakka 0.8 released.
- Dotty 0.1.2-RC1 released.
Articles and Books
- Highlight: It's quick and easy to get started with Akka
- Akka Tip of the Month - May: Akka Clustering and Remoting
- Sample chapter download: Reactive Systems Architecture by Jan Machacek
- Free Manning eBook: Scala – the New Web Architecture
- Custom GraphStage in Akka Streams
- Akka Typed: Coexistence and a Hello World in the new API
- Patterns for Streaming Measurement Data with Akka Streams
- Akka Typed: Protocols
- Akka Typed: Timers
- Akka anti-patterns: blocking
- Building a CQRS / ES Framework (part 1)
- Essential sbt Plugins
- How to write a Scala compiler plugin?
- Akka Streams – What is NotUsed all about?
- An interval-based rate limiter for Akka Stream
- Monitoring Tip of the Month - May: Telemetry OpenTracing
Code snippets and other highlights
- Highlight: Lightbend Podcast: What's New In Akka 2.5 with Patrik Nordwall (27 Min)
- Scalar Conference 2017 Videos have been published
- Why Scala didn’t miss the Android opportunity
- How well do you know your Scala trivia?
- Underscore: Why We Open Sourced our Books
- An overview of Akka anti-pattern articles by Manuel Bernhardt
- Reply to your feedback on sbt
- What's new with Scala Native?
- Podcast: Play 2.6 Is Coming, And It's Faster Than Ever (20 Min)
- State of Akka 2017 - The best is yet to come
p.s. if you'd like to get in touch with someone at Lightbend, let us know here: